Blog Post #3

Reflecting on Digital Technologies and Identity

Digital technologies are deeply remaking ideas of self and communities, especially within education. According to Bonnie Stewart, in her podcast on networked pedagogy, networks are part of the very structure that shapes human experience and, therefore, shape identities through constant curation. In online environments, these can be presented and remade in highly dynamic ways. For instance, participating in online courses has motivated me to establish a professional digital identity, separate from my personal one; I keep it with the utmost care according to my educational and career aims. Through blogging, contributing on social media, and collaborating virtually, I have been able to develop a persona in line with my aspirations and areas of interest.

Digital Education Platforms

These digital tools and platforms have increased the learning experience in terms of today’s engagement and skill development. Some, like Moodle, Canvas, and Zoom, greatly contribute to interactive learning environments. For instance, I was able to develop my critical thinking skills through the discussion forums in Moodle with peers. Furthermore, breakout rooms in Zoom initiated collaboration among some selected students in a class in order to create more intimate and focused group discussions. Most importantly, these tools engage students in activities that build on essential digital literacies required in today’s ever-increasingly digital workforce.

The digital tools also provide several ways of representing information and reception. Educational games, virtual simulations, and multimedia create other ways students learn in a more interesting way. For example, Kahoot! can take quizzes and turn them into assessments for the classroom. Inversely, turning assessment into fun by making activities competitive on class helps to keep the children engaged, making the learning stick. Another example is the video responses created by students on platforms like Flipgrid.

Instructor and Social Presence in Online Learning

The importance of instructor presence within online learning is rather well-documented. A reading states it best: “Where’s the Teacher? Defining the Role of the Instructor Presence in Social Presence and Cognition in Online Education“. As has been documented in much research, instructors must be present and active to build a sense of community and improve learning outcomes. This can be done through effective methods such as timely meaningful feedback, regular video updates, and active posting within the discussion forums. The following are many of the actions to be taken in creating a supportive learning environment, increasing student motivation and satisfaction. In my experience, the courses where instructors are present in a strong way bring about higher engagement and deeper understanding of the material.

In summary, the impact of digital technologies and platforms is in educational interactions and community dynamics through identity performances, along with new modes for engagement and learning. This actual role of instructors in sustaining social presence goes a long way to creating an effective and inclusive online learning environment.

1. Zhining Liu

Hi BeiBei. You discuss in this blog how digital technology is reshaping notions of self and community in education. You mention how online courses motivate them to develop a professional digital identity and highlight various digital tools such as Moodle, Canvas and Zoom that enhance learning through engagement and skill development. I couldn’t agree more with you about the importance of teachers in online learning and that their active participation creates a supportive and effective learning environment. I also think Kahoot is a great online tool. I remember I took a Korean class before and the teacher was helping us reinforce Korean words by letting us interactive in Kahoot. It’s a very good platform and I love it. Looking forward to your other blogs.